Saturday, November 21, 2009

Phyllis Rine - Missionary martyr 45 years ago

“Only one life ‘twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.”
(Words hanging on living room wall in Rine home in Ohio-----She actually lived those words!!!


On November 24, 1964 Phyllis Rine made the ultimate sacrifice! She was martyred for her beliefs in the Congo Massacre in Africa. Dr. Jerry Mattingly, Johnson Bible College's “Indiana Jones” urged me to do an article about Phyllis for The Eubanks Institute of Missions and her story has impacted my life in so many ways! You may read my article which was also printed in the Christian Standard on Nov. 23, 2008 Christian Standard - Only One Life. Her dear friend from her days at Cincinnati Bible College, Zola Brown, wrote her story much more poignantly than I in Only One Life (available on Amazon). They were fellow missionaries together in Africa.
Today, nearly forty-five years later, whenever I mention Phyllis' name I hear “I remember her.....I went to school with her......I remember where I was when that happened... She was so quiet and shy yet went to Africa ALONE....” To all of her friends and family I say “Thank you, Phyllis, for doing what we too often are not willing to do—give our life in service to the ONE who gave His all for us”!!

Please stop today and pray for missionaries all over the world and say “THANK YOU” while they can still hear you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment