Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blessings...?

How many times have you said, "Blessings..?" In the ancient Near East  it was inherently understood that the one doing the blessing was superior to the one being blessed. Since the name and power of God was used,  a blessing could not be retracted - even if bestowed by deceit. Isaac, tricked by Jacob, mistakenly pronounced the blessing reserved for the firstborn son Esau, upon - Jacob the younger son. Isaac then could not reverse the action in order to bless Esau, his firstborn (Genesis 27:27-40).

I have often pondered my closing phrases ending letters and emails. What right have I to bless anyone? Like Paul, I feel "...chief among sinners.." (I Timothy 1:15).  Yet, I sing and pray aloud  "blessings to God." Is this folly that I,  a mere mortal,  should presume to bless my maker?

Last night, as I contemplated the beautiful moon over Texas, a sort of vague, yet somehow familiar, reality again came over me. There exists no condition within which I can truly understand He who is outside of time and presence. He who creates is beyond creation - yet totally within my heart. My  "blessings to God"  are my form of   "praise"   which actually is all I can rightfully give......

No comments:

Post a Comment