Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Eye For An Eye



Bible Translators often find themselves in a quandary. Somewhere back in my childhood movies I recall a hate filled cowboy twisting up his face and demanding “an eye for an eye.” Viewers all realized he was demanding more. He was demanding total destruction. Hate came though his body language. He had become evil to avenge evil. There was no end to his evil. Of course, the cowboy thought he was calling upon the highest authority – The Bible. Was he correct?

Well..... Leviticus 24:19-21 may apply. And, Exodus 21:22-25 possible applies also. Oh, and also Deuteronomy 19:21. But, what do these say and how do you translate it if you don't understand it yourself? All three seem to demand retribution.... “an eye for an eye,” “ a tooth for a tooth.” Phrases I have heard all my life.

During Old Testament classes at Johnson Bible College, I suddenly understood. In Latin this is called the law of lex talionis. Punishment, then and now, often far exceeds the crime. In the developing world cultures today it is not just about retribution, but also about mercy. In other words, the punishment should not exceed the crime. Lex talionis defines and limits - retribution.

Wow... how can I explain lex talionis when I too frequently find myself wanting to shout, “....its' just not fair.... you hurt me.... I want to strike back... hard....very hard......??!!

Please give us wisdom Father...!

No comments:

Post a Comment